My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Unusual Animal

Blog Prompt: Today is Penguin Awareness Day. What is the most unusual animal you have ever seen?

I’m not sure I have seen any unusual animals but I remember seeing one animal up close that I didn’t expect to see. We were in Yellowstone National Park and looking for wildlife. We had to drive behind a herd of bison a few times and I did see a grizzly bear while hiking. Of course we didn’t get up close and personal with them though. At one spot, we thought we saw either a moose or an elk in the woods on the right side of the road so my hubby pulled over. We were looking intently into the woods but couldn’t see anything. As I turned to talk to my husband, there was a huge elk sticking his nose into the open driver’s side window. I was speechless and was trying to tell my hubby to turn but couldn’t get anything coherent out of my mouth. Finally he realized I was looking over his shoulder and he turned and about kissed that elk! He yelled and the elk pulled his head out of the window and ran off. We sat there for a while waiting for our hearts to start beating slower!

Original image: 'Cervus canadensis' http://www.flickr.com/photos/14573979@N00/237923233by: Michael Jefferies

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh my goodness Pat. What an experience. I would love to see those animals up close. The zoo just doesn't give them justice.

Evangelesse said...

Lol! That used to happen @ Great Adventures (theme park and habitat in NJ). As you toured the grounds in your car, camels and other creatures would come up to you. Especially the chimps!!! Kinda scary for a young kid!

Unknown said...

ROFLOL.... What a priceless memory. You did scrap it didn't you? About the strangest animal I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot) was the pig in the Walled City in Hong Kong. It was bigger than my bedroom.