My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, January 05, 2009

My Favorite Bird

Blog Prompt: Today is National Bird Day. What is your favorite bird and why?

My favorite bird is the Macaw. I always wanted one but never could find one in our price range and now I don’t think you can buy one commercially. I think they look beautiful and impressive. We have been to Parrot Jungle in Miami in the old and new location and the parrots there are awesome. Since Tammy gave some facts about the Bald Eagle, I thought I’d give you some info about macaws.

According to Wikipedia,

“Macaws are native to Mexico, Central America, South America, and formerly the Caribbean.

Macaws, like other parrots, as well as toucans and woodpeckers, are zygodactyl, having their first and fourth toe pointing backwards.

The majority of macaws are now endangered in the wild.

Macaws eat nuts, seeds, fruit, and sometimes insects. They also gnaw and chew on various objects. They show a large amount of intelligence in their behaviour and require constant intellectual stimulation to satisfy their innate curiosity. They often learn tricks easily.

Macaws have been said to live for up to 100 years; however, an average of 50 years is probably more accurate. The larger macaws may live up to 65 years. They are monogamous and mate for life. In captivity unmated macaws will bond primarily with one person – their keeper, and can often be quite affectionate and cuddly. Pet macaws thrive on frequent interaction and attention from their owners, and a lack of this can lead to their mental and physical suffering.”

Original image: 'salisbury zoo macaw' http://www.flickr.com/photos/11254691@N05/3142359136by: eric lynch

No comments: