My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My First Artwork

The first thing I made that I considered art was . .

I was in junior high and bored to tears one evening. I found this crewel kit that involved a needle and yard. Keep in mind that my whole family never encouraged me to do anything artsy because I was more "book smart and incapable of creating anything." This was proven by my many failures in things like sewing (my mom and sister were perfect at this) and painting or drawing (my other sister was perfect at this). I sat in my room and followed the directions to create this little frog scene on fabric. I never said anything about this to anyone because I was afraid of screwing it up. About 4 hours later I brought it out to show my family and they were stunned. Suddenly they saw me in a whole different light and it built up my self confidence tremendously.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

wow! what a neat story on how you didscovered that you are truly creative. that had to give you some art-fuel for quite some time!

Stephani said...

That is so great! Good for you for trying! What a wonderful memory! You should definetly scrap this!!!!

Beth said...

What a great moment . . . not only to bring out your artist but to know you did it by yourself, with no encouragement. That is a special moment . . . to know you had that strength inside!

Unknown said...

We book people have to stick together, lol. Mine was cross stitch, but I have done crewel work too. I think it has something to do with the math involved.

Meg said...

Don't perfect siblings drive you crazy?! What a great memory, I love that you still remember that feeling of confidence!