My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Words With Power

Blog Prompt: What adages, mottoes, or phrases of advice were common in your family when you were growing up? (e.g., "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." "No use crying over spilled milk." "Do what I say, not what I do.") Write about a specific incident when the phrase was used.Do those words still have any power over you?

My mother had lots of sayings but for the life of me I can't think of all of them right now. I remember how saying "if you piss in the air, it will come back on you" when she told me not to talk bad about people. My hubby prefers the saying "what goes around comes around." Of course the usual: "Because I told you so" was a big one around the house but of course now that I look back, I'm sure I asked "why" way too much!

The biggest one I remember is one that still has power over me. "Your head is in the clouds" was used by everyone talking about me because I obviously had no common sense. For some reason I can't seem to see the forest from the trees which is why I'm so thankful for my hubby. Whenever I think of some great scheme for my classroom, I always run it by him so he can help me think of logistics and important stuff. That is why I'm so successful in my classroom because he balances me out. I always have these big ideas and tend to jump in with both feet without thinking things completely through (or so I'm told) even though I think I've thought things through (phew, that was tough to say!). I plan a big party every year and thankfully my hubby helps me get ready (even though he swears he won't help every year). I want to do these great hikes and trips and hubby does all the detail planning so we always have a wonderful time whereever we go. Oh well, maybe one day I'll grow up and get my head out of the clouds but until then, I'm having a great time here in the sky!

8 comments:

Stephani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephani said...

You are not alone. I also have trouble seeing the forrest for the trees. I can't seem to ever see the BIG picture. It sounds like you and your DH truly compliment each other! You were obviously meant to be together!! GREAT POST!

Stephani said...

P.S. In case your wondering who deleted their comment! It was me! LOL! There were spelling errors and typos do I deleted and reposted. Sorry about that!!

Canay said...

aaahhhhh...keep your head in the clouds. It is so nice to have a hubby that balances you out. I'm sure you balance him out also:)

Michelle said...

LOL! love your post. too many memories in these quotes!

Anonymous said...

Don't be in a rush to grow up Pat. I hear it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Glynis said...

Those are all great sayings and I love how you realize that your dh is a perfect compliment to you...what a wonderful couple you make!

Unknown said...

Keep your head up there high so you don't miss the music of the stars. DH will hold your hand to lead the way, I'm sure. (And thanks for the sympathy, LOL)