My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Live Out Loud

Blog Prompt: “If you ask me what I come to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you: I am here to live out loud.” ~ Emile Zola ~What does “living out loud” mean for you?

I feel like that means to make your personal mark on this world. I feel I do that by teaching and hopefully influencing my students in a positive way. They may not like me because I'm not here to be their friend but I hope they will remember me because I've made a positive difference in their lives. I see so many teachers that say they just do their job from 8:30-3:30 and leave it all behind. I feel that in order for me to be a good teacher, I can't do that. I make phone calls home in the evenings when parents are home (they tend to be more receptive when I'm not bothering them on their job). I call home often in order to say good things so the behavior in my classes aren't a big issue. I give the students and their parents my home phone number (I have theirs so I wanted to give them mine) and no one has abused this privilege in 26 years. I have had students call me at night when they felt like running away, thinking about suicide, or were being pressured to have sex by a boyfriend. In my heart, I believe that I've been "living out loud" and I'm so thankful that God has given me the gift to teach.

3 comments:

Glynis said...

Your blog always makes me smile! I think you are the epitome of a good teacher...and though we have never met I know you live life 'out loud'!

Unknown said...

I so agree with Glynis. I wish more teachers felt the way you do. You are truly living "out loud."

carin.c said...

I love the way you "live" through your calling as teacher. Very inspiring!