My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Carnival Glory Day 3 and Reading

We arrived in Cozumel around 10am and then we walked around downtown until about 2pm. It was so hot and humid there! Kahlua was 2 for $17 which was a really good buy. We ended up coming back to the ship and eating some lunch before going back to our cabin and watch The Curious Story about Benjamin Buttons (or something like that) and it was an interesting story but we had to leave for dinner before I got to watch the ending. After dinner we went to the comedy show again and saw Lewis Nixson who was quite funny but we missed the main show which I hear was really great too.
Blog Prompt: Talking to my sister the other day, she told me that her 1st grade son was now suppose to read his books on-line instead of bringing them home. How do you feel about that?

I think for early readers, they need to physically hold books and turn pages to feel the magic of reading. I think checking out books from the library also means meaningful interactions with the librarians who could have be a major source of inspiration and motivation for a child because they did this for me. I think as a student moves on to middle or high school, online reading may be good but I really believe they need the real books too.

2 comments:

Glynis said...

Sounds like your on a wonderful vacation! Have a great trip. And I TOTALLY agree with you about 'real' books :)

Unknown said...

I would love to be on your vacation with you, LOL. Looks like retirement hasn't retired you at all. Ditto on the books.