My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pecans and Adventure Day 27

Blog prompt: Today is National Pecan Day. Do you like pecans? Why or why not? If you do, do you eat it in a pie or do you eat it plain?

I like pecans but I like them roasted and salted which are hard to find. I don’t like pecan pie that much but I love pecans in my banana bread. Since we were home in February, I decided to pick up the pecans out of my back yard and I can’t tell you how many 5 gallon buckets of pecans that I picked up. I guess I will spend my summer cracking them in order to use them for baking.

Travel Notes:

We left Coos Bay this morning and headed south along the coast. We stopped at lots of lighthouses and overlooks and really enjoyed looking at the views along the beach. We stopped in one small town and Don bought lots of post cards from an antique store while I sat in the car and knitted (and listened to podcasts). Then we finally arrived in Gold Beach where my friends from California have another house. Steve happened to be there today working on it so we called him. It is so cool that we have been able to cross paths as much as we have. If you get a chance, you might to read about how we crossed paths a couple of months ago in Barbados. We went to see their beautiful house along the river and it was absolutely awesome! The huge glass windows look out onto the river and while we were watching, this hawk landing on a branch of a tree across the river about eye level from where we were standing. I think this would be a fantastic place to live and I know we will have to come back to visit them again. After we left Steve, we drove along the coast some more and stopped at lots of overlooks along the way. By the time we got to Brookings, it was starting to get dark so we had to get a hotel. We decided to stay at the Wild River Motor Lodge which was nice and we had a wonderful dinner at Panchos (good Mexican food at reasonable prices).

We are still trying to decide how we will get to Wendover UT. We have three different routes we can take but Don is concerned about going over the mountains and the snow. We might end up taking the interstate down to Sacramento and then the interstate east to Utah. Of course all this is up in the air until tomorrow when we check the weather.

See more pictures on Flickr – click HERE.

2 comments:

Beachcomber said...

I love pecans, too. I don't like pecan pie too sweet. I like making caramel turtles with them.

Did you see the botancial garden in Coos Bay? How did you like Coos Bay?

There was a nice park we went to in Brookings. I believe it was Brookings.

Unknown said...

We use to have a farm in Alabama loaded with pecan trees. Every fall we went to pick them (trying not to anger the cows, LOL). Then would crack them open at home and freeze them for use in the winter. I like them in banana bread and plain, but never did care to much for pecan pie (way to sweet).

What a view from Steve's house.... I wouldn't mind living there year round. :)