My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Adventure Day 31 (Nevada and Utah)

We left Wendover early this morning and headed to Grand Basin National Park. The scenery was beautiful but flat. We arrived at the park at 10:00 and was told to head up to get the cave tickets before they sold out because there was only 12 places left. We bought tickets for the 1:00 tour which was 90 minutes long. After we bought the tickets we met this nice guy, Larry who scouted out film locations and he was Moab. After talking with him we decided that we would head to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks next before heading to Moab and Arches National Park. Since the cafĂ© wasn’t open we went back to Baker and found only one restaurant open so we had a hamburger at T&D’s restaurant. Then we drove and looked at some of the park before our tour began.

At 1:00 we were led on the tour by Lindsay the park ranger, who did a fantastic job. She took her time, spoke clearly, and was very interesting too. There was a large group with a couple of children who were very well behaved. It was exciting to see all the cave formations and I was surprised how different this was compared to Mammoth Cave and Carlsbad Caverns. “Lehman Caves is a beautiful marble cave ornately decorated with stalactites, stalagmites, helictites, flowstone, popcorn,” I love the part where we are in total darkness imagining how it was in the early days when they used candles to see in the cave. The tour was only $10 per person for the 90 minute tour and well worth every penny. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone who thinks about visiting the park. But I think we were lucky to get a spot on the tour because I hear they fill up quickly so they do offer advanced reservations if you know when you will be there. Our problem is that we never know where we will be any given time so we can’t make advanced reservations.

Our next stop is going to be Zion. We were there many years ago but really didn’t have enough time to spend there. I’m really looking forward to going back there.

See more pictures on Flickr – click HERE.

No comments: