My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Definition of Beauty

Blog Prompt: Define the idea of beauty -- physical, artistic, natural, whatever...just talk about what you think is beautiful.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." This saying first appeared in the 3rd century BC in Greek.The person who is widely credited with coining the saying in its current form is Margaret Wolfe Hungerford (née Hamilton), who wrote many books, often under the pseudonym of 'The Duchess'. In Molly Bawn, 1878, there's the line "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

This is definitely true in my house because my hubby and I have the hardest time agreeing on what would look beautiful in our home. You can count the decorations in our house and know how many times we've agreed on that. Nothing goes up that we both don't agree on so this can cause some heated discussion on the definition of beauty.

I love to see the natural beauty of our earth when I go hiking. It seems like everything around me is a miracle and I have such a small part in the big scheme of things. Sometimes when I hike I will come upon a magnificent view that will just take my breath away. It might be a mountain, or a blooming flower or a waterfall. I think even watching a bee at work is beautiful. I love to see the earth after a soft warm rain. Everything looks so shiny and fresh. We have so much beauty that surrounds us and many people don't take the time to look around them and enjoy life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl, you're not preachy at all lol. I agree with you that the beauty of nature is alll around us and sometimes especially inthe smallest of acts found in nature. Great post.

Anonymous said...

thanks for this sentence in the beginning - that´s just what i was looking for

Glynis said...

Nope, not preachy...you said it just right!

Unknown said...

I don't think that was preachy at all. I think there is a lot of beauty around us that we don't take time to see.

Unknown said...

Yep, you got it just right. I got a kick out of reading about you and hubby though. Sounds like Pan and I.