My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Friday, September 21, 2007

Missing Ingredient

Blog Prompt: I'm going to deviate from the Fashion theme today and ask if you have ever been in the middle of cooking when if you realized you were missing a key ingredient and couldn't make a dash to the store? What did you do?

I am such a terrible cook that if I was missing an ingredient and couldn't go to the store, I would just have to do without making it. I wouldn't even dare to try to substitute anything. I think years ago I remember my mother in law didn't have brown sugar and mixed molasses with regular sugar but I would be afraid to even try that.

I do remember around Christmas time, one evening I decided to bake banana bread for the fire dept. and police dept. I had everything in the mixing bowl and reached for the flour. Luckily I looked in the bag and it was full of little black bugs. I was so disgusted. My hubby had just finished drinking a beer so he wouldn't drive anywhere which means I had to go out in the cold dark (don't you feel sorry for me!). I had my pajamas on which consist of sweat pants and a sweat shirt so I put on my tennis shoes and threw on a coat since it was about 11pm and I didn't think I would see anyone I knew. I know the WalMart in the next town was open 24 hours so out to the car I go. Luckily my neighbor was getting something out of her car and said hi and asked where I was going. I told her of my dilemma and immediately she offered me the flour that she had. I gladly took it and replaced it with a new bag the next day. I love having wonderful neighbors!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Aren't you lucky that your neighbor was out and about at 11 at night, LOL. I have heard about substituting molassas and sugar for brown sugar but have never done it myself, mainly because I wouldn't have molassas on hand :)

Tammy said...

You are lucky to have great neighbors. I guess there isn't a substitute for flour

Denise said...

I have learned to check flour bags right when you get them home... those buggers are aweful! Glad you got your flour to finish the bread.

Beachcomber said...

Lucky your neighbor was out at that time of night. Glad you got to finish your bread.