My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Hats

Blog Prompt: Fashionably Correct. In years past one would not be seen without a hat to complete your ensemble. Not so much these days. When and where do you think it is fashionably correct to wear a hat?

Down here in the south, it seems like it is fashionably correct to wear a hat anytime! Most people take it off inside buildings and during prayers though! Most men around here wear ball caps and now that my hair is longer, I like to wear one when I'm hiking with my pony tail sticking out. (I think it makes me look skinnier! LOL) When I taught, it was a rule that the kids had to take them off in the building and you wouldn't believe how many hats I took away! I usually warned them by asking them to take it off and of course, some would back talk and refuse to take it off so of course I would be stubborn and finally take away the hat which involved calling parents, detentions, loud voices etc. - all over a stupid ball cap!

There is one lady at church that wears the neatest biggest brightest fancy hats to match her dress outfits (I love her to death because I think it takes a really brave and self-secure woman to do this!) and I keep thinking that I wish more people would wear them so I could and not feel uncomfortable! Lots of women wear fancy hats during the football homecoming games. I have been to an outdoor anniversary party where all women had to wear hats and gloves (I really thought this was a neat idea and enjoyed it tremendously!).

6 comments:

Tammy said...

There were alot of women that wore hats like that to church alot where I am from in Missouri. Old fashioned up bringing I guess. But they always look so sweet.

Unknown said...

We need to make a stand and bring hats back into fashion :)

Nicole Young | Urban Wings Art said...

We must go to the same church! LOL! We have one of those ladies too!!!! She wears white gloves with her big fancy hats, sometimes too!!!

Unknown said...

I admire women who can wear those hats that match their outfits too. I love that they can dare to be different & not mind about what others say or think.

Sandra said...

I love hats too, and don't get to see enough of them around town anymore. I love a beret/tam on a little girl in the winter.

Lovely post!

heather said...

lol We're not so strict on the hats off indoors here... we're too busy trying to get them to put them on when they're outside!