My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Friday, September 07, 2007

Fashion Facts

Blog Prompt: Fashion Facts. Over the centuries, fashions have taken dramatic changes. Do you know of any obscure fashion facts to add to our knowledge?

Footbinding was a custom practised on young females for approximately one thousand years in China, beginning in the 10th century and ending in the early 20th century. In Chinese foot binding, young girls' feet, usually at age 6 but often earlier, were wrapped in tight bandages so that they could not grow and develop normally; they would, instead, break and become highly deformed, not growing past 4-6 inches (10-15 cm). As the girl reached adulthood, her feet would remain small and dysfunctional, prone to infection, paralysis, and muscular atrophy. This was initially a common practice only in the wealthiest parts of China, particularly in areas around northern China. However, by the late Qing Dynasty, foot binding had become popular among people of all social classes except the poorest, who needed able-bodied women to work the fields. Today, it is a prominent cause of disability among some elderly Chinese women.

I couldn't resist this since I have heard that many of my ancestors had this done. I'm so glad that this has stopped being done!

Now for beach fashion facts that I've learned since I've been here at Myrtle Beach (I truly hope I don't offend anyone but these are really just my opinion and not true facts!)
The fatter a woman is, the more reason for her NOT to wear a bikini.
The fatter a man is, the more reason for him NOT to wear a tiny speedo.
If you already have a man, it doesn't matter what you wear or what you look like, they think you are sexy no matter what (ask my hubby!).
Young girls of today do not know what it is like to have flat tummies because they all have poochy tummies and aren't the least bit embarrassed about it (as seen at Hooters restaurant).
Bathing suits for women have not really changed in the past 30 years.
If you are wearing a bikini and get in the ocean with a rough surf, make sure your top is tied on tight.
If you are comfortable with what you are wearing, you will have fun on the beach!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that they finally stopped the foot binding. I cannot even imagine the pain those poor women suffered.

Really liked your beach facts, LOL. Went to the beach one time with Bombshell and there was a slightly overweight man in a white speedo bikini. Once it got wet you could see every thing. Disgusting.

ArcaneFaery said...

Another note: Do not watch a group of AirForce men in speedos playing volleyball while you stand in the surf. The waves knock you down. oops. (and when you can't swim, like me, it's scaaaaaary!)


fun prompt!!! I alsways enjoy your blog!!!

Anonymous said...

That whole Lotus Feet thing was such a horrendous custom Pat. The things women do to appear beautiful in the eyes of men never ceases to amaze me.
Great list of beach fact. But somehow, it doesn't really matter how tight you tie your bikini top, it's always going to be high risk. Thank goodness my bikini days are behind me.

Stephani said...

I also can't imagine the pain those poor poor people endured. It makes me cringe to think about it.

BAHHHAAAAHHAAAAHHAAA! On the beach fashion. I have to agree with you on every single one of your points! lol! Thanks for the giggle