My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My Looks

When I was growing up I was never happy with my looks. First of all, I was too short and all my friends were taller. Then, I grew up as the only Chinese girl in a school full of White, Black, and Hispanic kids. That was pretty stressful because kids are just mean to someone who is different but there was no way to change that particular look (I'm not going to be like Michael Jackson!). Plus my parents were very old fashioned and I never dressed like the other kids. I never had name brand stuff (my dad worked in a restaurant and was sole provider for a family of 5) and my parents never let me wear pants to school like other kids (yes, young people, this was in the olden days!). This was in the 60s when it was the hippie era and I was dressing like an old lady. My dad wouldn't let me cut my hair which was down to my waist and I felt like I had lots of zits! Also, most orientals don't have a lot of body hair so when teenage girls were shaving, I wasn't.

Now, as a mature adult (and I use that term loosely), I am much happier with my looks. I feel I'm the perfect height to be with my husband. I am letting my hair grow longer after 20 years of being very short. I'm within 8 lbs. of my ideal weight and I don't have a lot of zits! I'm also ecstatic now about not needing to shave at all. Overall, I'm content with my own looks now. Wow, isn't it funny how your perceptions change when you grow up and see things from a different perspective?

3 comments:

faery-wings said...

what a great deal of wisdom you have! And it is true-- maturity helps us to put things in so much better perspective.

Glynis said...

You sound so comfortable with yourself, Pat. And that has to help give you confidence to be able to do all the wonderful things you do. Great insights, especially about growing up 'different' than everyone else.

heather said...

Yay - one good thing about getting older - no zits!! My mum used to make all my clothes (even a few pairs of undies would be believe!!) so I know what you mean about no brand names :) I'm sure your good health and happiness is all you need to look wonderful!