My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Heartwarming Story

I had to share something with you that warmed my heart today. My church has 3 services (because we are so large) so I go to the 8am service (soon to be the 7:45 service). about 9 months ago I noticed a man sitting in the back of the church and he was wearing dirty clothes, looked dirty, and hungover. After a couple of weeks, another couple and I were talking about him and it was mentioned that he was a homeless person who started coming to our church. Today I noticed that he went up for communion and recieved communion; usually he goes up just for a blessing. I also noticed that he had on a clean white shirt and shorts on and he looked clean even if he still looked hungover. I found out that he never misses a week (which is better than me) and I've really been praying for him these past few months. He usually slips out the door before I ever get near where he was sitting, but I probably wouldn't have enough nerve to talk to him anyway. I am so thankful that I see the changes God is making in his life and it really made me glad for him.
(If any of you give food to the food banks, please think of donating more in the summer. I just found our local food bank and the shelves are practically bare. The man there said that it is full during the school year when the schools do canned food drives but in the summers, it is rough. I plan on making an effort to give at least 10 cans a week from now on.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Pat, I got goosebumps reading what you had to say. What a beautiful story.

Glynis said...

I agree--God works in all situations, whether we know it or not. Thank you for sharing this with us all! And reminding us that people are in need ALL year-round!

Unknown said...

Its easy to forget those in need when we get caught up in our busy lives. Thanks for reminding us Pat. Jira and I have been planning on donating blood for some time but keep putting it off.... Im going to look into making an appointment today. Not exactly the same thing but still along the lines of helping people.

Gabby Faye said...

This was an uplifting story for sure. As the ex-wife (now widow) of a poor homeless soul with mental illness, I can assure you not all homeless men are substance abusers. Blessings to anyone who makes their lives a little better. My children and I searched for him for a long time. That man, too, may have a family he just can't see right now.

heather said...

Isn't it amazing how one person's life can affect another's!! That because of the man's actions in his life, you noticed and have now told us... and good news spreads..I hope I am making sense. I love that idea, thanks for sharing the story.

faery-wings said...

I will keep that man,as well as allothers without the security of a home and food, in my thoughts.