My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Peculiar Gift

Blog Prompt: What's the most peculiar gift you've ever received? Describe what happened when you opened it and your reaction.

I'm not sure this is so peculiar as disappointing. Back then I was disappointed but now I think I was so idealistic that I set myself up for disappointment. I was about 9 or 10 years old and all I wanted was a horse for Christmas. I prayed for one and even asked Santa Claus for one. For some reason I just KNEW that I was going to get a horse for Christmas because I believed in both God and Santa Claus. As a child, you don't think of zoning laws or real life reasoning so I told everyone that I was getting a horse for Christmas. Well, on Christmas morning, I rushed to the window to look outside in the snow. There tied up to the front railing was a Palomino horse (just like I asked for!). Unfortunately it was about 18 inches tall and made of plastic. My parents told me years later, that they wanted to get me a horse and didn't want to disappoint me but they couldn't afford one and our yard wouldn't hold a horse. At the time, I thought it was a cruel joke and was horribly disappointed. But in our family, you didn't act this way when you were given a gift, so I just smiled and thanked everyone. But I will remember that gift forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes somehow the disappointment of a gift gone wrong is so much worse that not getting a gift at all.

Glynis said...

Oh, that disappointment is heartbreaking...but you seem to be okay now ;)!!

Anonymous said...

isn't that the way it goes when you are little? My sister asked for a horse and my brother got her a can of alpo! I am glad you got over it :-)