My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Comedy and Adventure Day 48 (SD, MN, IA, NE)

Blog Prompt - Sunday was World Laughter Day. Tell me about your favorite movie that makes you laugh out loud.

My Cousin Vinny with Joe Pesci really makes me laugh. I think the main reason is that the judge in the movie reminds me so much of my husband and his court. We really like to watch it and get a good laugh. It is really funny that the funny parts in court are things that really happen.

Travel Notes:

We left Oacoma, SD this morning and stopped in Mitchell, SD at the Corn Palace. It was a really cool place! The building is decorated with real colored corn. Every year they have a new theme and the building is redone in corn which costs about $130,000 each year. I’ve never seen anything like it before! Don also found some antique stores to go to so he was happy. Down the street from the corn palace was Ben Franklin crafts where I found some yarn.

After we left South Dakota, I decided rather than heading south, I wanted to go a little ways into Minnesota. When we got to the visitor center, the lady told us that Pipestone National Monument was only 30 miles north and since we had never heard of it or been to it, we had to go see it. Of course she was really excited that we might see some bison who were calving. She mentioned how excited she was to see a bison with the afterbirth hanging down when she drove by (not my idea of a great sight but I may be weird.) Pipestone National Monument is a sacred Native Indian place where they quarry the pipestone to make the peace pipes. We did a short hike around the nature trail and then headed south.

We went south to Le Mars, IA which is the Ice Cream Capital of the World. It is the home to Blue Bunny ice cream so of course we had to stop and eat some of course! The Wells Dairy sells more ice cream for one company in one city than any other place in the world.

After that we headed to Sioux City, IA where we will spend the night. I didn’t know that this city is actually on the border of Iowa, South Dakota, and Nebraska.

To see more pictures on Flickr – Click HERE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen "My Cousin Vinny" in years. It definitely is a funny movie. But your description of it reminding you and Don of his court, made me remember Nuke's favorite movies "Operation Petticoat" and "Down Periscope," both of which he says are pretty acurate representations of sub life.