My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Adventure Day 45 - South Dakota

We spent the night in Hot Springs which is known for The Mammoth Site which is an ongoing archaeological dig famous for digging up Mammoths. This morning we went to Wind Cave National Park and took the Natural Entrance Tour ($9 per person) and it lasted about 1 ½ hours. The passageways were very narrow but we got a good lot the box work up close. There were only 20 of us and it was a nice group. We met one guy from Kentucky who moved to Hot Springs and would be working at this park. After the tour, we went to Custer for lunch.

Then we headed to Jewel Cave National Monument to see how this cave differs from Wind Cave. Since we had a National Park pass, we took the Discovery Tour for free and we got an overview of the caves which lasted about 20 minutes. While we listened to the park ranger, we saw lots of stairs and levels that went deep into the caves. So, when this tour was over, we bought tickets for the Scenic Tour into the cave which went deeper into the cave and was supposed to last 1 hr. and 15 min. But 2 hours later, we returned from the tour which was wonderful. I took way too many pictures!

We got a room in Custer, SD outside of Mt. Rushmore. We saw Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial. I had imagined that Mt. Rushmore would have been bigger than it was. For dinner, we ate at the Elk Canyon restaurant and the food was really good. We hope to do Devil’s Tower in Wyoming tomorrow and then spend the night in Rapid City.

To see more pictures on Flickr – Click HERE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh you lucky duck. I would love to see Rushmore at least once more. Are you going to get to see Glynis while you are there?