My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Friday, August 15, 2008

Best Friend, Relaxation, and Personal Feelings

Thursday's Blog Prompt: Today is Best Friends Day. Who is your best friend and tell why?

My best friend is my husband. We have been married for 26 years and he knows all of my secrets and I know his. When I say all, I mean all. We do not keep secrets from each other at all. I do have things I would rather not tell him and may delay telling him, but the guilt gets to me and I spill my guts (like when I dented the car, forgot to pay the bill etc.). He has always been there to support me no matter what I am doing. He encourages me to do things that I should do but sometimes fear keeps me from doing it. When he knows I really want to do something but not sure if it is logistically possible, he will do all he can to help me make it work. When I am sick, he never wants to leave my side and cares for me better than anyone else ever could. I can’t imagine life without him.

Friday's Blog Prompt: Today is National Relaxation Day. How do you plan to relax today?

I plan to play on my computer, walk in the park with my husband (4.5 mile exercise walk), read Nora Roberts’ book The Hollow, and crochet. It is really easy to relax now that I’m retired. I can do what I want when I want. I have had to make up a little routine of doing household chores or I would never get them done. I know my life sounds boring right now but I’m enjoying it.

On a more personal note: I just have to share some of my feelings lately. I feel so out of sorts that I don’t feel like scrapbooking or blogging. I think it is because school is about to start and I’m missing it. Last year was the first time I didn’t have to go back to school and it was actually a neat feeling, like being on holiday when everyone else wasn’t. I really didn’t mind not going and didn’t miss it at all. This year I’m more connected with other educators online because I’ve been doing some consulting work and for some reason, I really miss it this year. I know this feeling will pass, especially when I hear about the paperwork or the discipline problems so I will just ride it out. I think it was also hard because I was offered another job yesterday for a wonderful position but I couldn’t take it. It was to be a 1 on 1 teacher with a middle school special ed student who couldn’t handle the school situation. It would be like being a home school teacher to someone else’s child. The pay would be great but it would tie us down and I promised my husband five years of not committing to anything long term. Especially with the health scare he had this year (nothing serious even though at first we thought it was), it really brought home that life is too short. I will still contract with the school district to do teacher evaluations which is easy to do because I determine when I observe and have meetings. Oh well, thank you for letting me share this because now I feel a little better.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Pat, I know what you mean about the feelings you are having when you stopped working. I had the same ones. What was I to do with my self anymore. Didn't feel productive. Thats when I started my online business and worked alot with the computer. I'm enjoying that now alot. Can work when I want to.

Maybe you can sub at school sometimes. I use to do that and really enjoyed it alot. Then it got to be almost everyday when they would call. So I just went back to work everyday.

Hang in there girlfriend. You have all your blogger friends to talk to and of course, your best friend is always there. I wish I was there to take a walk with you. Sounds like you have wonderful places to take a hike.