My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, April 09, 2007

Spring Growth

Spring always means change or growth. Any changes or growth going on in your life?

Spring is bringing about lots of changes for me and it is only the beginning. I'm preparing for my retirement as of June 6. This means I have to do lots of paperwork for my health insurance and finalizing "stuff". I am also going to have to begin packing and sorting and throwing out stuff that I've accumulated after 26 years of teaching. A lot of my stuff is so out of date that I don't know why I still have it. Do any of you remember those old mimeograph sheets (the blue stuff that smelled so good?). I have lots of those things and I can't even use them anymore.

I will also begin to teach my first college course so I've been spending a lot of time writing my syllabus, preparing powerpoint presentations, planning lessons, gathering material, and reading the textbook. When I slow down to think of what I'm doing I feel so overwhelmed, unworthy, and just plain scared to death!

So as you can tell, spring is a time of rebirth and growth for me. I feel like I've hit adolescence again. I want to grow up but I'm scared and want things to remain the same. Gee, doesn't that sound so familiar!

8 comments:

Stephani said...

Congratulations! I didn't know you were going to teach a college class that is terrific! I am feeling alot of the same things you are dear friend. Hang in there. Everyone keeps telling me how happy I will be in the end. I will keep my fingers crossed for the both of us.

heather said...

Oh I loved the smell of those sheets - all of us kids would pick them up and sniff!! LOL Wow - teaching college - an exciting challenge - remember you know how to teach already, so it's just different ages and you'll be just great! :)

Dodie said...

You go, girl! I'm so pumped for you that you'll be teaching a college class. You know, you can take the teacher out of the classroom, but only for so long. Sooner or later (sounds like really sooner in your case!) the teacher has to start teaching again. Good luck ... and enjoy your retirements. Only another teacher knows just how much you have earned it!

Sharon said...

Wow not long now!! The anticipation of it all!! You must be getting excited though.

Meg said...

YAY! What type of class will you be teaching? And thank you for your comment on my blog, I'm so excited for your students!

Glynis said...

I'm so excited for you...and I would be nervous as well! And I LOVED the smell of those old blue mimeographed papers. And how they felt warm for a long time! Keep us up on all the things in your life---it's exciting! (Oh and I love your new look...I'm working on mine!)

Bonnie said...

Hi There Pat, just popping in to say Hello and that I hope you are well!
Take care! and congrats with your retirements coming up soon!
Bonnie

Beachcomber said...

Congratulations on your retirement. Good luck with your new teaching position. How exciting teaching a college class! You go girl! I remember those old mimograph papers.