My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sibling Day

In honor of Sibling's Day, talk about your relationship with your siblings. If you don't have any, tell us how you feel about that.

My oldest sister, who was 12 years older than me, died from lupus when I was in 10th grade. We were very close so that was a traumatic time for me. My middle sister, who is 10 years older than me, still lives in NY so we don't see each other much at all. Thanks to the computer, we do instant message each other a lot and we both have Verizon so calls don't cost anything. When I went away to college and during the early years of my marriage, we drifted apart. I have to admit, during those days I was pretty self centered. I had 2 small daughters, a new career, and was trying to make ends meet. Connecting with family was not high on my priority list. Since we both got computers, we have gotten much closer, almost like when I was growing up. I didn't realize how much I had missed this closeness until I had it again. I hope I never let her get far away emotionally from me again.

3 comments:

Glynis said...

Beautiful journaling...I'm now 5 hours away from my sister, but having Verizon has helped us stay in touch too!

Tammy said...

I know what you mean about being apart from family for awhile till things work out in your life. Glad it worked out for you and that you are communicating with your sister now.

Stephani said...

Oh Loony I am so so so glad you have gotten in touch with your other sister. I also have verizon and thank goodness because it helps me and my sister keep in touch as well. I am so sorry about your older sister. That must have been incredibly hard. I can't even imagine. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!