My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Rest and Relaxation

Blog Prompt - How important is rest and relaxation to you?

Rest and relaxation is so important to me. I may have mentioned this before, but here it is again. About 20 years ago, I lost all of my hair due to stress. At the time, I didn’t know that I was under stress but I was. My husband had lost his job because he was willing to transfer out of state. My daughter was having many problems at school. My house caught on fire and we had to move in with my in-laws for about 2 months while we looked for another house.

My hair started to fall out by the handfuls so I went to the doctor. One doctor told me that I was having an allergic reaction to my hair which I thought was totally ridiculous so I went to another doctor. No one seemed to be able to tell me why my hair was falling out or how to stop it. They kept asking me if I was under stress and I kept telling them no. To me, being under stress meant that I was having a nervous breakdown and not able to work. Since I was teaching every day and spending time with my family, I didn’t consider myself being under stress. Finally after spending thousands of dollars trying to find out what was wrong with me, the doctors gave up. They said there was no other tests to run and nothing they could do for me. They told me that it would never grow back.

My husband and I decided that I would start exercising and taking multivitamins. He even signed me up for the gym which was close by so every evening for two hours, I would go to the gym. Amazingly, my hair started to grow back. I had hoped it would grow back red and curly but it didn’t. But that was okay because I was just glad it grew back.

So now, whenever I see a lot of hair in my hairbrush, I exercise a little more, which I find extremely relaxing. This exercise helps me to relax. So, as you can see, rest and relaxation is important to relieve stress, which could eventually kill you.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I just can't imagine you with red, curly hair. Try as I might :)

My mother started losing her hair due to stress shortly after my dad died. And it was her hairdresser who told her what the problem was.

I'm glad that you were able to overcome it. I think that is why depression is so prevalent these days. People don't know how to deal with their stress.

And in response to your comment on my blog.. I, too, count you among my friends and feel as if I had known you for a long, long time. (well I guess we have, haven't we?) Maybe one of these days, when we go to see Nuke we can all get together. I think that would be so much fun.

Meg said...

I'm so glad you reposted this story. And Tink's comment about depression ties right in. I just went to my doctor a few weeks ago and he reminded me over and over that I needed to get more sustained exercise (i.e. not just chasing the kids!). Not for my weight, but for stress. Endorphins are amazing things, now I've got to make myself get out there!

I'm so glad your husband took such great care of you during that time!

Evangelesse said...

I'm happy your hubby nutured you through this time too! What a blessing. Something similar happened to me so I understand. Stay healthy!

Evangelesse said...

Hey, don't know if you do blog awards, but there's one for you on my blog if you do!

Beachcomber said...

I didn't know that stress could cause ones hair to fall out. I'm glad your hubby took good care of you and nutured through your stressful time.