My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, June 01, 2009

Listening

“Listening, not imitation, may be the sincerest form of flattery.” ~Dr. Joyce Brothers. How well do you listen? Are you intent or preoccupied?

I have to admit that I am not a good listener. I am a more visual person and would rather talk to someone face to face than on the phone. I need to see facial expressions and body language when I’m having a conversation in order to get the big picture. I love doing emails because I can see the words people are sending me and I can see the words that I’m sending them. I would rather read a book then listen to an audio book but again, I think that is because I’m a visual person.

Even when I’m talking to someone face to face, I’m not sure I am a good listener. I’m thinking about what I want to say so I don’t forget or I’m worried about what they are thinking about me and what I’m saying. If I’m with people that I don’t know, I feel unsure of myself and tend to focus on what I’m feeling instead of what they are saying. I guess I need to work harder on my listening skills.

Original image: 'My Listening Ears' http://www.flickr.com/photos/40257616@N00/1389750548 by: Niclas Lindh

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I guess that would describe me better. I am more visual than following verbal instructions.