My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Travel Horror Story

Blog Prompt: Everyone has at least one travel 'horror' story. Share your worst experience(s) with us.

Gee, I have so many I don't know which one to pick but this is the one that comes to mind first.

Years ago, my hubby and I drove to Orlando to go to Disney World and of course we are watching our finances closely. I'm not saying my hubby is cheap but we were being frugal. This meant that we did not stay in a 5 star hotel of course but we did get a room on the second floor. I also have to mention that my hubby does not sleep with any clothes on, which has never been a problem before. (No, you really don't know where this is going so read on...)

In the middle of the night, I wake up to hear him saying in the dark, "Call the front desk and tell them we need help!" I look towards his voice and can see in the shadows that he is pushing on the door. Of course, something outside is pushing the door back towards him. Now, the wonderful wife that I am, I immediately scrunch down in the bed and pull the covers over my head.

By now, my hubby is very angry with me and whispers again to me to get my butt up and call the front desk for help because someone is trying to break in. I turn on the light and see the whole situation. I also have to warn you that when I get nervous I start to giggle and can't help it. This only makes the naked man INSIDE my room angrier so I finally call the front desk and tell them that someone is breaking in my room.

Within minutes, we hear a commotion outside and the door stays shut. My enraged hubby turns towards me and commences to fuss at me and now I really can't stop laughing. Finally, when I stop laughing and he stops yelling, I call the front desk to find out what happens.

Apparently the hotel doesn't change the card keys and this thief knew it. He uses his key to rob people while they are asleep. Luckily my hubby had put the chain on the door and heard him. The hotel had the thief in custody and was waiting for the police to arrive. Now wherever we go (even if it is a 5 star hotel), the chair goes in front of the door!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my, that is terrible. It's a good thing the chain was on. But I'm surprised the guy outside kept trying to get in even with your husband holding the door shut. Definitely needs to be on Dumbest Crooks or whatever that show was named.

Jennifer Giuffre said...

LOL. That is so funny. My hubby sleeps naked as well. I don't understand it. What if there's a fire? He didn't used to leave clothes by his side of the bed, but after I asked that he started leaving clothes on the floor by his side so he can hurry up and dress. Me? I love to sleep with CLOTHES ON! We always sleep at hotels with the chain on and any other lock in place. No way anyones coming into my room! They'd have to make A LOT of noise to get in and I'm a light sleeper. Good thing your husband thought to put the chain lock up.

Sandra said...

I'm a little disturbed that the hotel doesn't routinely reprogram the keys and locks...

Funny naked spouse story though.

Stephani said...

LOL! Your story made ME giggle! I sleep fully clothed as well in case of something just like that happening. I will now ALWAYS use my chain in hotels and put a chair in front of the door. How scary! I am glad you are both well and unharmed after your incident. Holy Moly what a story!

Glynis said...

Great story, Pat...did you get a discount on the room at least? :)

Anonymous said...

that is creepy Pat :(, except for you pulling the covers over your head, that is hysterical :)