My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Joyce Kilmer Camping Weekend

We had a fun weekend. We left Friday morning for Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest which was about a 4 hour drive. On the way up we stopped at the visitor center and the lady told us that Saturday night they were expecting hail and tornado warnings. We were the first ones to get to the campsite at Rattler Ford Campground so we set up our little orange backpacking tent . That afternoon, others began to arrive and we helped them set up their tents.

Then we went geocaching for a little while. The weathermen said it would rain Friday night but we didn’t get any that evening. We had happy hour with lots of food shared by all and then Don and I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner. When it got dark Diane015 started a fire so all ten of us sat around the campfire until about 11pm. It was so much fun sharing stories. Don and I got the giggles when he poked me in the ribs as he turned over in the sleeping bag. We could hear Tom and Bev talking next door in their three room tent! About 4am it began to rain and the wind was strong but we 074stayed dry in our tent.

When I got up at 6am, it had stopped raining. In fact it looked like it would be a pretty day so all of us planned got ready to go hiking. Don  and I hiked to Falls Branch Falls where we met up with Diane and Gail. About the time we hiked out and reached our cars, it began to rain. Don and I went into Tellico Plains for lunch at the Tellicafe and we had pizza burgers. By the time we finished, it had stopped raining so we went to Bald River Falls before heading back to camp. We arrived back at camp about 5pm and it was a torrential downpour so we decided to pack up and head for home. It is a good thing we did since I found a huge puddle inside my tent and our pillows were soaked. We would have had to sleep in puddles all night long not to mention worrying about hail and tornadoes. We arrived home about 10pm and there were heavy rains which made driving pretty scary at times. I’m just glad we got home safely and woke up in our own dry bed!

You can see more pictures here: Joyce Kilmer Camping Trip

No comments: