My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Delicious Veggie Stew

I found this recipe online and it was great. I did change it a little bit because I didn’t have any garbanzo beans so I threw in a ½ cup of lentils but I don’t think it changed the calorie count much. I also didn’t have butternut squash so I just used yellow squash. I also left out the eggplant because it was so expensive. It must have been good though because my hubby ate two helpings of it!

veggiestew Very VERY Veggie Stew

PER SERVING (about 1 cup): 100 calories, 1g fat, 296mg sodium, 20g carbs, 6g fiber, 7g sugars, 4g protein -- POINTS® value 1*

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups fat-free vegetable broth
1 cup canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
One 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tomato, coarsely chopped
2 cups coarsely chopped zucchini
1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
1 cup cubed butternut squash
1 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. dried basil
1/3 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt, or more to taste
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda)

Directions:
Place all the veggies and the garbanzo beans in your crock pot.
In a medium bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, garlic, olive oil, basil, cinnamon, salt, paprika, ginger, and sweetener. Mix well and pour evenly over the contents of the crock pot. Gently stir to allow the sauce to coat the veggies.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. (OR cover and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours.) If you like, add additional salt to taste. Enjoy!

MAKES 8 SERVINGS

No comments: