My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Where I Got My Talent From

Blog Prompt: So where did you get your talent?

I really don't have a lot of talent doing anything because I am more like a "jack of all trades, master at none" kind of person. My parents and sisters were very talented and for some reason it never rubbed off on me. In fact, I think maybe God gave me to the wrong family because I couldn't do anything that any of them could do.

My father can build just about anything with his hands and some tools. Any kind of furniture I wanted when I was growing up, he could make it. When I got married he made each of my daughters their own desk. Any repairs around my house were done whenever he came to visit. When I needed worm boxes, he was here to build them for me.

My mother could sew, knit, crochet, or craft anything. In fact, she didn't even need directions most of the time. She could visualize the final product in her head and make it. She was able to make my wedding dress even though she lived 700 miles away from me. I gave her the picture, bought the material and supplies and away she went with it all. When she came for the wedding about 4 days early, the dress fit me perfectly. Every Christmas she would make my family matching knitted sweaters that fit all of us even though she never took our measurements. If she wanted to make something she saw in the store, she would look it over, decide what materials she needed, and then make it.

My oldest sister was the artist in the family. She would do beautiful paintings and drawings. Since she was 12 years older than me, she always helped me with my school projects and they usually looked pretty good. She was very creative when it came to art. She was also very athletic and played sports in high school.

My middle sister is like my mother and can sew, knit, crochet, and do just about any craft she wants too. She also does a lot of baking and cooking. Every Easter she bakes these neat Easter dough boys holding a dyed Easter egg. And her yeast rolls are to die for! She was also very athletic in high school and was in a bowling league for many many years.

Now me: I can not make anything from anything and using tools usually ends up in disaster. I can not sew, or paint. Just this past year I learned to crochet but right now I can only make things that have square or rectangular shapes because I hadn't figured out the increase and decrease stuff very well. I just taught myself to knit but it isn't a pretty sight to watch me. I am trying to improve my cooking by trying 2 new recipes each week. I'm not really great at this and I get stressed out the day I'm going to try a new recipe but I am building up my repetoire of things we eat for dinner. I'm so tired of eating the same old things each week even though my husband never complains.

So, the bottom line is this, I have no talent but life goes on!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your family sounds amazing. I would love to have your mother's talent with a needle. I can knit and crochet, but I HAVE to have the pattern close by.

Let's master the cooking ting together! I'll be back in SC soon and we can get together and experiment. I need a kitchen buddy who is allowed to be near the stove. :)

Tammy said...

You are more talented than you think Pat. You write wonderfully and you teach children. That takes alot of talent!

Glynis said...

You can write, you can digi-scrap and I'm sure you have a ton of other hiddent talents waiting to be discovered, my friend!!

Unknown said...

You can teach.... The best talent of all is passing along knowledge to younger generations. And you do have quite a few other talents as well, scrapbooking (just look at your slideshow), crocheting and knitting (even if you feel you are just at the beginner stage.)