My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, September 05, 2011

The Great Adventure 2011 Utah – 8/6/11

069For more pictures, click HERE

Today we went to Goblin Valley State Park in Utah. It was a beautiful drive and the scenery was outstanding! How different the terrain is compared to Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. We hiked around the “goblins” and it was so hot! The air temperature was 95F but there in the valley, I’m sure it was hotter. Even though we drank lots of water, Don got a little overheated so we headed back to the car. If it was this hot here, I can only imagine how hot Arches NP will be over the next coming days. We will probably have to hike early in the morning and early evening, leaving the hot afternoon for either drives in the car or a nap.

What I Learned Today:

· Goblin Valley is made up of formations of sandstone that have eroded into interesting shapes.

· The movie Galaxy Quest (with Tim Allen) was filmed in Goblin Valley.

· The “goblins” are really hoodoos (according to Wikipedia, “A hoodoo (also called a tent rock, fairy chimney, and earth pyramid) is a tall, thin spire of rock that protrudes from the bottom of an arid drainage basin or badland. Hoodoos consist of relatively soft rock topped by harder, less easily eroded stone that protects each column from the elements. They typically form within sedimentary rock and volcanic rock formations”

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

Original Photo: by Pat Hensley

No comments: